Ticker

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Chicago and Oprah!

One of my best friends Jewell is an Oprah fan with me.  We have been watching the Oprah web site for it to be open for tickets for over a year now.  My friend Lance teases me about my Oprah obsession.  My DVR is almost always 100% full but the one show I do make sure I stay up on is Oprah.  So when 2 weeks ago Jewell called me at work to tell me the window was open to get tickets I was swamped at work so I could not apply but I told her to win us tickets.  I never thought about it again.  The next day Jewell called me extatic that she got the email that she got tickets!!!!!!!!!  The big catch was it was less than 1 week away!  Graciously she gave me one ticket and told me my sister could come too.  I was going to be coming from Alabama where I was planning on being on vacation with my family that week.  Sarah (preg with twins) and I flew up and spent one night.  Jewell flew in on the redeye flight from SFO and joined us the morning before the show.  My sister then flew home after the show and Jewell and I stayed and explored Chicago for a night then we both flew home the next morning.  I decided I was going to enjoy the trip and for the 2 days I was in Chicago I was going to not stress about food and eat when I wanted.  The plan was when I got back to Alabama I was back on plan.  I am happy to say I did exactly that.  
Sarah and I were starving when we got to Chicago and found this Chicago deep dish pizzaria on the walk from the train to our hotel.  The pizza was so very yummy!
This is all of us the morning before going to see Oprah.  
I am very sad to tell you that the topic of the Oprah show was terrible!  I watch about 99% of her shows but this is one that I woudl see the intro to and then delete it.  Oh well it was still a fun experience.  We didnt know the topic of the show until Oprah came out and turned to the camera and started the show.  We did have a clue that is was going to be a depressing topic because she came out with her shoes in her hands.  Her sad shows usually start with her just starting by looking at the camera.  Her happy shows start with her walking out with a screaming audience.  After the tapping Oprah talked to the audience for about 45 min.  Even with the terrible topic it was still a wonderful day and I am happy to be able to check it off my bucket list!
After the show we did a photo opt with the sign.  
In the Oprah store is her chair that she used for many season.  I took a seat!
Jewell and I checked out Michigan Ave and shopped a bit.  
Another thing on my bucket list is to go to Art Smith's restaurant Table 52.  I have seen it on the Food network as well as Art Smith being Oprah's chef for many years.  We were able to get reservations so Jewell and I headed there for dinner.  
The food at Table 52 was so scrumptious!  I had pistachio encrusted Chicken with a chile sauce on it.  Jewell and I shared a side of Mac and cheese.  The Mac and cheese was so good!!!!  You can see me here holding it before we dug in!
Before the meal started they brought us out this Goat cheese and herb biscuit.  OMG!  I could of eaten a whole meal of those and the mac and cheese.  You certainly can tell Art Smith is a southern boy!  Here is the buscuit.  (and YES!  we took pictures of our foods!)
Chef Smith was very visible the night we were there.  He was all over the dinning room, clearing plates, bringing out dishes.....doing whatever needed to be done.  I have to say this makes me like him even more!  I locked eyes with him at one point and gave him my best southern smile so he came over to our table and talked with us for a while.   He even asked if we wanted a picture!  Well of course we do!!!
For desert we had Apple Beignets.  Delicious!!!

It was a fantastic trip to Chicago.  I must say that I now want to go for a much longer trip and soak up more of Chicago!  Thanks jewell and sarah for helping to make it great with so many memories!
Murn

2 comments:

  1. So many things to say.
    That pizza looks so yummy!
    You sat in Oprah's chair!
    Your new current picture is fabulous!
    A picture with Art? You're famous now!
    What a fun trip. Take me with you next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I am following you from 98 olds. Very nice blog and what fun to go to the Oprah Show! I am about 100 miles south of Chicago, living on a farm and raising two girls. Stopr by for a virtual visit at www.walkingtheoff-beatenpath.blogspot.com

    p.s. I lost 60 pounds over the last 12 months. I really want to lose 20-30 more, but right now I am feeling pretty healthy at 180 even though I am only 5'4" The Good Lord let me gain weight all over instead of just settling on one spot. I need to get back to my walking. My dog would be much more happy with me if we got back to our morning walks!

    ReplyDelete