Ticker

Monday, July 5, 2010

6 months

I have been a blogging slacker.  I will get better.  I am feeling all better and I even went out on another date tonight (first dates suck btw!)  Anyways...
Yesterday was 4th of July.  I started the morning out with a easy 15 mile bike ride with Sophie.  I did not push myself hard....just enjoyed the wind blowing through my hair and being out. After the bike ride I headed into SF to go for a run with Hannah.  One of my dreams has been to run the Golden Gate bridge with Hannah.  I was sure I could do it.  I was under the impression over and back was only 3 miles (what a scam....its really 4+ a little more.)  Hannah was game so we started out.  As we drove closer and closer to the bridge we started laughing.  It was COLD and very windy!  There was a lot of fog rolling in.  We even talked about aborting the mission.  It has been 90+ degrees in Walnut Creek where I had been bike riding so I was in shorts and a tshirt!  But alas we started.  For those of you that have not ever gone across the bridge.....its curved a bit.  The first mile was really a killer.  It was all uphill and super windy and cold.  I prayed to Jesus pretty much the whole way!  We took a quick stop at half way and Hannah (my cheerleader) assured me it was downhill now and it would be easier.  Easier it was indeed!  I felt great from that point on out.  We over and back.  Here is the amazing thing.  I did 5 miles in 1 hour.  I did 12 min miles!  I have not done that before!!!  I assure you that I was not doing 12 min miles on the 2 uphill parts but I think I made up for it on my downhills.  We ran down the hill that goes down to the waters edge so I could get all the way to 5 miles.  It was spectacular and I have to say I am proud of myself.  Hannah was amazing.  She was cheering me on the whole way.  At one point she kept saying...."Murn....you have run the bridge!  You have run almost 5 miles"  I had to tell her to stop....I was going to cry and not be able to finish the little bit if I stopped to think about it.  
When I run I think.  I think thats something most runners love about running.  Solitude and thinking.   I realized that July 4th marked my 6 month mark exactly from when I started this life changing journey.  On my 6 month anniversary on Independence day I was running 5 miles across the Golden Gate Bridge!  ROCK ON!  When I started exercising in Jan I would walk 2 miles at 3.2 mph on the treadmill.  I was wiped out at the end of that.  I've come a long way baby!  I recognize that I still have a long way to go in my journey but I am going to enjoy the road along the way and it feels great.
Today I went to WW.  Sadly I was up 0.8 lbs.  I am not sure what that is all about....perhaps sore muscles hold on to water?  I am not sure but for the first time it did not kill me to not of lost.  I think I was still riding on the high from my run.  I wrote everything down I ate all week...even my binge on Monday night and I was still in my points for the week.  Who knows!  I am not going to stress out about it.  I am doing everything I can do and I feel good so I am just going to keep on keeping on. 
Here is a picture of me (after a shower) after running my 5 miles.  

Hope all of you had a great 4th of July as well.  
Murn

2 comments:

  1. You look great! Even better though, sounds like you feel great. I think you should make that last picture your "current picture" on the sidebar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "On my 6 month anniversary on Independence day I was running 5 miles across the Golden Gate Bridge! ROCK ON!"

    That is AWESOME!! You have come such a long way and look amazing! I really appreciate you sharing your journey with those of us who live halfway across the country. It's been great to keep track of you and how things are going. Plus, it's really inspiring to watch the pounds just melt off of you. I'm super proud of you girl!!

    ReplyDelete