Ticker

Saturday, April 17, 2010

I think I am a nurse

I love being a nurse. It is a huge part of who I identify myself as. These last weeks I have not gotten to be a nurse. I have been in the teacher role. I like teaching but I love being a nurse. The emergency dept that I am working in is going computerized. I know, I know.....we are the last ones in the country to go computerized! As part of being the ED staff educator I have taken on helping to train the staff. I have been doing this all week. There is understandably a high level of anxiety for the staff with this HUGE change. I am having open "play time" where staff can come in to practice using the new charting program. I do think what I am doing is helpful for most of the staff so that is rewarding and makes it worth it. I have personally also learned the computerize system great and feel totally comfortable with it but I sure miss being a nurse! Hats off to my parents and all other teachers out there! Its a hard job!

Pretty Please let me get in a good trauma or a super sick complicated septic patient with lots of IV drips and tubes in all orifices or (wait for it.....) the delivery of a baby (GASP!!!!this is usually my least favorite type of patient!!!) I have had about all I can stand of looking at the same computer screens for hours and hours! I am so sick of teaching the same example patients over and over and over. I am sure my fatigue has a lot to do with me working 70+ hours this week and working the last 7 days straight (only 5 more to go and I have a weekend off with my little sister and a country music festival in palm springs!! YEHAW!!) 2 more days of training then we go live with the computers on real patients!!! I cant wait! Lets rip that band-aid off. I am excited maintly because I think it is going to be a great thing for the ED but mostly cause I get to take care of a patient or two. I might even get to put someone on a bed pan, quickly wrap up a stinky homeless patient's feet before the whole department is reeking of foot rot or starts an impossible IV in a dialysis patient! I am an Emergency Nurse, Damn it!!! Bring it on, I can take it!

2 comments:

  1. I love the passion you have for your job! That is great. :) What would we do without nurses like you?? Last summer we had to take our 5 year old to the E.R and we had the most wonderful nurse and doctor on the case. We were so scared and they made all the difference.
    Hope you are having a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. next time I have a baby, I will call you so you can put on your lip gloss and help :)~~Harmony

    ReplyDelete