Ticker

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Soups On!

When I started this journey I subscribed to Cooking Light. I know that a lot of their recipes are not that low in calories but what I do love is that they calculate the nutritional facts for you. I got my first magazine in the mail this week. This morning I was flipping through it and found a recipe that was called Chicken and Okra Stew. It looked good to me! Any of you that have been around me since Jan know that I have made a lot of soups and many of them containing okra! It is a great way to get a lot of veggies in and control the calories. It has also been a long cold wet winter so its been so yummy! Anyways....after working a long day with some disheartening things happening I was thinking about what I could grab fast. I then dug deep and decided to make the soup that looked so good. I went to Whole Foods (where else can you get Okra in California in April?) I came home to make the soup! I used the jalapeno instead of the habanero pepper. I think next time I might kick it up to the real thing! The other change I made was I took the tomatoes and used my submersion blender before adding them. I didnt want any chunky tomatoes. I didn't think people would believe I bought the slimy seedy things so I took a picture! I did omit the onion but that wont surprise anyone! Anyways....you get 1 1/2 cups for 5 points. I have discovered I really love okra in soup! I guess my Alabama roots are showing!

Tonight I watched "The Biggest Loser" from this week. One of the contestants said "I am finally doing this for me." It clicked for me. I have said to several people on this journey that I am not sure why I am so committed to this this time. I now know. I am doing this for me. I am not doing this for all the other reasons I have in the past. I am not doing this for a dude, for a dress, for a reunion. I am doing this because I want to be healthy and I am done being fat! Simple as this: I am putting me first, making me a priority and Its Murn's Turn!

Thanks for all the support from all of you!
Murn


1 comment:

  1. Oh, I miss okra! When I lived down South we used to have it all of the time. Your soup sounds yummy!

    Love that attitude! Your doing it for you and you are worth it! :)

    ReplyDelete