Ticker

Friday, April 30, 2010

Priorities and Lists

Hello Blog Followers!
Tonight on the radio Dr Phil was on (I am not usually a huge fan of his.)  He said to make 2 lists.  The first one list your life priorities in order of importance.  In the next list rank what you spend your time on in order of most time spent on something.  He said the lists should match where most people have them opposite of each other.  So it made me say hmmmmmm.  My priority list would be something like this:
1. Me and my happiness (this is a new #1 for me....use to be close to the bottom of the list.
2. Family
3. Friends
4. Professional development/work

Now my list of time has been skewed this month due to my involvement with the ED going to computerized charting but it usually is something like this with #4 & #5 switching places depending on the time.
1. Sleep (which I put in the me and my happiness category)  I have made sleep a priority.  I make sure I am in bed to get a full 8 hours of sleep a night.  I am happier and keep on goal much better when I do this.
2.  Work.  Here is where I disagree a bit with good ole Dr Phil.  Work is a means to family and friends.  Going to see my family cost $$ and being social with friends sometimes takes money.  Also there is a cost to live.  I dont feel bad about spending a lot of time at work.  Also I work with people I like and consider friends.  I have cut WAY back on the amount of OT I have worked since the new year.
3.  My weight loss plan.  Going to the gym and prepping all my food is like a part time job!  Hannah and I walked for 2 hours tonight.  That didn't count the 45 min to get to and from San Francisco.  Quickly hours in your day are gone!
4.  Family  I have gotten to see my family a lot this month.  Ironically I have seen all of my immediate family (including my favorite aunt Margaret) this month except my brother who lived 20 minutes from me.  I am going to change that soon.  (Add giving big bro a call and make plans to my to do list!)
5. Friends-  I truly believe I have the best friends of anyone!  My friends in California are in a big way my family here.  I love doing things with them!

In summary (this is getting way too long on the Not So Deep Thoughts by Murn) I dont think my lists are that far off from where they should be and that makes me happy.  Things that I am happy are not high on my time lists are TV, scrapbooking and talking on the phone.  I love doing all of those things but since I have new goals those have had to take a back seat.  Finally my time is matching my goals. What do your lists look like?  Are you happy with the way they match up?

Now on to much less serious topics.  I have gone into SF to go walking with one of my best friends Hannah last night and tonight.  Hannah has become like my personal trainer.  She pushes me on our walks....in a great way.  Tonight she came up with a great hilly trail all through the Presidio.  I took a bunch of pictures because I just couldn't help myself.  We ended the walk by walking across and back on the Golden Gate bridge.  My little Sophie couldn't be happier to have her mom back and to be going on our long walks again!

Here are Hannah and I on our walk today.  It was such a beautiful day!  That is Alcatraz behind us!

1 comment:

  1. You are blessed to have such good friends! :)
    I love the pics!! I have never been to SF, but the photos make me want to go.
    The lists are a great idea!

    ReplyDelete