Ticker

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

A start in the right direction


I went to work today. I was on one of my educator shifts today meaning I was not a real nurse. I just work on educational projects for the staff. I suppose you could say the apple does not fall far from the tree. Anyways....I got to work in time to meet Amelia and head over to the WC campus to see how their paper flow works in their ED. (our ED is going to computerized charting next month so this was in prep for that!) Anyways....I fixed my oatmeal to take with me and was just about to take my first bite when several staff members came in the breakroom announcing their lab work. Today was the health fair at work! I have been very curious about my lab work since I blew off getting it done last year at my doctors visit. (Have a mentioned that nurses make the worst patients??) Long story short....I didnt get to eat my oatmeal for 2 hours but I did get my blood work done. It is actually not that bad considering I am a 250 lbs girl that didnt move much before 9 weeks ago. My dad and one of my sister's (name withheld to protect the innocent) also have high cholesterol so I sortof expected I did too and would need to start on a statin drug this doctor visit. I think I can avoid it at this point!
Here are my stats (desirable levels in (): Total Cholesterol: 180 (200 or less)
HDL Chol: 27 (40 or higher) This is the one I think I can improve with my life change.
LDL Chol: 124 (130 or less)
Ratio: 6.7 (4.5 or less)
Triglycerides: 147 (150 or less)
Glucose: 84 (100 or less since this was fasting)

I certainly have room for improvement but it is not as bad as it could be. I know in the past my triglycerides have been over 300 so that is way better. I need to get my ratio better but I think with my diet and exercise changes that will happen. I have a doctors apt in June so I am anxious to see how much those change between now and then. Here is the best part...they pay us to do this! A little poke of my finger, get my BP (121/80) and my pulse (55) done and I got $50 gift card I can use at a bunch of different places! I have a great job!

Murn




1 comment:

  1. I've tried to get you to do this for years to get "free money" and there was no way i was getting you there! I am so PROUD of you!!! You are truly making life changes!!!

    ReplyDelete