Ticker

Sunday, May 16, 2010

12K race...San Francisco style!

San Francisco has a well known race (and I use the word race lightly...more on that in a bit) called Bay to Breakers.  It goes from the Bay Bridge through the city to the ocean.  I have heard stories about how much fun it is and the crazy costumes people wear.  When I started walking in Jan, I signed up to do the race with my friends Laura and Kim.  I had no idea how much fun the people watching would be.  Laura brought me a few necklaces and some fun sunglasses so I would have a bit of a costume.  This was my first mass race!
This is me about to get on BART on the way to the race!
This is me with Kim (on the right in the blonde wig) and her friend Janet (in the red wig) about to start the race.
Bay to Breakers has a strange tradition of throwing tortillas at the beginning of the race.  I am from Auburn Alabama where we throw toilet paper in a tree when we win football games so I am a fan of traditions that don't necessarily make sense so I went along with it without questions!  Here I am getting into the tradition!  Nothing like walking along minding your own business and having a tortilla come slap you in the head!
Bay to breakers is like Halloween in May.  The costumes (and sometimes no costume or clothes at all) are so fun to see!  Everyone is feeling festive and the booze is free flowing.  Its a fun atmosphere and more like a block party than a race!  Here are a few of the people that were around us in the "race."  Here is the viking float:
This guy reminded me of Napoleon Dynamite.
Fandango had someone dressed up as their mascot.
You need to understand it was about 45 degrees when the race started.  It was down right chilly!!!  This guy appeared to be ready for a day at the pool!
These "trout" swam upstream in the race.
Apparently the Mormon missionaries skipped church this morning.  
Thought this sign was funny.  Very California.  Picture on the right shows a guy that was standing on the corner.  So glad he "covered up" with a clear plastic bag.  Yes, he was totally naked under there.  There was one guy that was totally naked walking near us from about mile 2 until the finish!  He was not an attractive man!  Clothes would of improved things for him and his butt acne (bleh)!
Elvis (times 50) lives!
Obama even made time in his schedule to come!
Crossing the finish line!!!  7.2 miles done!  
Kim, Laura and Me at the end of the race.  We walked (Laura and I ran a small section....past the 7 mile sign so we could say.... "We ran through mile 7")  Happy it was over but we sure walked a lot further than 7.2 miles...my guess would be closer to 9 miles with all the weaving around people and walking to and from the race.
Here is a snap shot of the amount of people in the race.  We had to walk slowly with the crowd until about mile 4 when the crowd thinned out a bit and we could pull out and walk faster.  
It was a very fun day.  Next year I want to try to get in a earlier start group where it is a bit less crowded and actually run the course.  This race helped me remember why I love where I live!  
Murn

No comments:

Post a Comment