Ticker

Saturday, May 22, 2010

This is why I left night shift

Last night I stayed in the hospital with a friend's 10 week old baby that had major brain surgery earlier this week.  She had a good night and most importantly her mom got to get some uninterrupted sleep.  Last night was not about me.  It was about supporting someone in need.

I did not sleep much.  I didn't know I was going to do this overnight until yesterday so I didn't change my sleep cycle to accommodate it.  I simply thought...I use to work nights....no big deal!  Well when I worked nights I slept in til noon getting ready to stay up all night etc.  Maybe I am just getting old!  I found myself really fighting old habits when I was leaving the hospital at 10 am this morning.  I wanted to eat all the crappy foods I use to eat at the end of a night shift.

I didnt go too crazy but I did enjoy a whole wheat tortilla with smart balance light and brown sugar on it.  When I am tired I eat crap to get the energy!

I am going to go snuggle into bed and enjoy sleeping the day away.  Tonight I get to have dinner with my nephew and his mom (my friend).  I am blessed we are all healthy.

Snuggle the children you love!  Being back in a children's hospital ICU was sure a reminder of how precious life is!
Murn

1 comment:

  1. ok, I totally get this. It is something that we have talked about. The night shift cravings are HORRIBLE- energy boosting simple carbs and sweet, caffinated sodas are my weakness. Been working on taking more food to work so that I dont go to the caf and give in to weaknesses. By the way, ate a handful of chocolate chips this morning when I got home. LAME!

    ReplyDelete