Ticker

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Good Role Models

I have written several times about wanting to be a runner.  I grew up in the best place to grow up....Auburn, Alabama.  My parents were active people...and still are.  Sunday afternoons were always filled with playing games with my dad while my mom recharged her batteries with a nap.  When mom woke up we usually all went on a walk of the neighborhood.  Willow Creek was a neighborhood that was beautiful (perhaps I am feeling a bit sentimental right now.)  The beginning of the neighborhood use to be a Pecan orchard.  In the back of the neighborhood is a big lake.  Our walks would wind us on a 3 mile loop through the neighborhood.  In my mind I am not a runner until I can run 3 miles at a 12 minute mile or faster.  I think it is based on those 3 mile walks we use to take.  I am not sure.  There is something about 3 miles and 12 minute miles.
On rainy days.....mom and dad would pack us kids up in the army green Granada (aka the Grenade) and take us to the basketball coliseum.  On my last trip home I went in the old building to walk down memory lane....and I must say the old place still smelled the same.  This year Auburn opened up a new basketball arena and I believe they have torn down the one I knew so well.  Part of my parents success in staying thin is they are consistent with exercise.  I hope to follow their example.
Last night I went to San Francisco to walk with my dear friend Hannah.  It was spitting rain and we started out.  I had read in a book Laura gave me "No need for Speed" that to run you can take walk breaks.  I realize this seems like a DUH thing.....but its not how I had been jogging in the past.  In the past I would jog as far as I could (which was not far) and then walk for the rest of the workout.  With Hannah I jogged and walked.  I am happy to say I jogged a total of 2.5 miles and walked 1 mile.  I didnt break any record with speed but I was out there....and it felt great.  Hannah is a fantastic cheerleader!

I am really feeling great and every day I get a smidge prouder of myself and get a pinch more confidence that I might actually do this!

Share any jogging tips you have!  I can use all the help I can get.
Murn

3 comments:

  1. I have no jogging tips. I hate running. You're doing great though! And Willow Creek is a beautiful neighborhood. I was always so jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Murn, I just recently came across your blog I just started WW in March! I love you blog. I am from South GA, went to nursing school in Alabama. I now live and work in an ER in NC! Thank you so much for your blog it has been such an encouragement! You can do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately I don't have any jogging tips, but your description sure made me miss Auburn! We had so many fun times there. While I LOVE having my parents live close to us now (in New Orleans), it makes me kind of sad that I don't have a "home" to go back to there anymore. Either way though, I'll always bleed orange and blue!! War Eagle!!

    ReplyDelete