Ticker

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Hug a nurse

Happy Nurses Day!  The hospital I work at has "Nightingale Award" where each unit votes on what nurse they think deserves it.  I am so very honored to say that the Emergency Dept. voted for me.  There was a ceremony to honor those that received the award.  At the celebration there was cake.  I love cake.  At first I thought...."this is for me....its like birthday cake...on your birthday...you can eat cake."  And it is true that I could of had a piece of cake and the ground would not of opened and swallowed me up.  However....I had planned all my points out for my day before I went to work.  So I started thinking about what I would not eat in order to eat that slice of cake (I was guessing a slice was 5 points.)  The conclusion was...I didn't really want the cake instead of the nutritious food that would fuel my body for the day and help me not be hungry.
Yesterday at the end of my work day I was talking to my friend Meg.  I asked her if she wanted to go for a quick walk.  So there we were walking up Treat at midnight with our puppies.  It was not a long walk and not a super fast walk but I moved.  Thats all that matters.  I love that my friends will go do crazy things like that with me!
This morning I got up and Laura and I went to Briones to do our 4 mile hike.  I absolutely love that hike!  This time of year it is the most beautiful place I know of.  I could of done a lot longer cardiovascular wise but my hiking boots were rubbing raw spots in several places so I was happy to be done!.
Laura and I had a great motivating conversation about weight.   I am a tad worried about the month coming up.  I had had plateaus in the low 220's.  We talked about ways to plow through this spot where I perceive I might have trouble.  I still have a long way to go so I can not slow down!

Going out with the girls from work to celebrate Nurses Day (we use any reason to go out!!)  Who is better to celebrate with than a bunch of Emergency dept nurses!  Thank you to ANY and ALL nurses that read this.  You are amazing for all that you do seeing people in the most vulnerable time in their lives and giving amazing care!  Its a profession I am so very proud to be part of!
Murn, RN

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on your award! Happy Nurses day to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally voted for you. OK, I didn't even vote, but if I had, I would have voted for you. ~Harm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Marion, I am so proud of you! What a huge honor! You always work so hard, and it is so wonderful that you work with people who have noticed your great qualities. Love, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the award!! You have always been successful in just about everything, so I am not surprised. I know that took a LOT of will power to pass up on YOUR cake. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete